CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Running Me Ragged

This fall we have been trying to be more active with our kids. Now that Linden is a little bit older and understands more of what is going on around her we have been trying to take advantage of her interest and show her different things. A couple of weeks ago the mayor kicked off the "Heart and Sole" program here in town with a 5K walk. The idea behind the program is to get people to be more active. Each of the participants got a pedometer (including the kids) and we are to keep track of our daily steps for two months. It sounded like fun so we took the kids and started our step counts. Linden and Calvin didn't really rack up too many (see the photo). 



Calvin rode in the stroller the whole time and after about half a mile Travis decided he wanted to jog. I couldn't jog with Linden on my shoulders so she ended up in the stroller as well. I was impressed that Travis was able to push the double stroller (not a baby jogger, but one of those with the little wheels and no foot room) at a pretty good jog for about two miles. I took over for the end and walked while Linden rode on Travis's shoulders. It was fun to see the families there participating. Afterwards they had an obstacle course for the kids to do. Calvin was a little too small to understand the concept, but he knew what to do with the balls. The only problem is he's still not the sturdiest walker and ended up face planting in the concrete parking lot. The scrape looked a lot worse than it actually was but he wore a pretty good mark for about a week.



Last weekend a local church did a fund raiser 5K run called the "Monster Dash". Since I was training for a half-marathon that was CANCELLED!!!!!!! I decided to do the 5K instead. Kendall did it last year and dressed up in full candy corn costume. She said there were other people that had put on some crazy hats and other fun things, but no real costumes. I decided not to go all out, but I put on my bear ears and painted my face. It turns out that I was the only one who dressed up in costume anyway, but I was okay with that. The kids were there to watch me and it was obviously easy for me to be spotted. I even got several compliments on my ears. It was a fun run and I felt really good about my race. It is disappointing that I won't be able to do the half-marathon, but there are always others in the spring.


1 comments:

Sistahood said...

I didn't realize you had done the Monster Dash. Fun! I wouldhave totally dressed up and done it with you - except I was in Ft. Smith